Sunday, May 22, 2011

Friends and Fighting

I'm off work. Yay! Just grabbing some peace and quiet before the fiance's friends get here and the fiance gets home from work.

He sent me a text. He was sad this morning. We've been bickering and not loving each other as hard. Couples do this. We get tired from working too much and just get fussy. That's what we do. And then we get over it. We are the kind of couples that pick at each other for a week and then get over it. We don't have the big blow out screaming matches. We just aren't built that way.

I miss him. He's here in front of me most of the time but our free time, my weekend off and my time off lately has been filled with graduation celebrations and friends visiting from out of town.

I'm ok with it. I'm just exhausted by it. I miss the nights on the couch, legs on him, having a glass of wine and a bit of tv.

And then I realize. It's summer time. This happened last year. His friends are out of school and coming to visit. Our free time is spent with friends. His friends are great people but man, I've had my fill. I want my regularly scheduled programming back. How I Met Your Mother isn't on at noon anymore. The reruns are someplace else.

I feel like I'm just constantly running here and there for other people. Everything will get back to normal in about a week. Then I can be me again and I can spend quiet time again.

A lot of it has to do with working almost 8 days in a row and him working almost 10 days in a row. The one or two days off in two weeks are spent being social. My inner little kid is just yelling, "I don't wanna!" I feel like I'm getting a peek into motherhood, where my life is preplanned for someone else.

We'll get past it. We are survivors like that. I just miss us, the me and him us, not the group us. It's a dude thing, they just have more friends than us gals and they like spending time together. Women have friends to fill the empty moments without our men. We fit our lady friends into the small free spaces. We don't really go so far as to create free spaces for our friends. Don't get me wrong, I love my Gnat and Heater but the times we spend together are mostly the times that our guys have planned to spend with each other and we get to come along and have someone to chat with.

Thankfully, the fiance's friends have cool girlfriends that I've become close to and enjoy spending time with. I'm lucky as all hell in those regards.

I think I'm just the tired kid in the back seat. I'll get a nap and a cookie and I'll be a lot better!

-whiny lady

No comments:

Post a Comment